Tuesday, June 03, 2008

bad bad bad bad boys, you make me feel so good




Me: "So, how was Iron Man?"
Friend: "Good! I liked it a lot. It was a bit weird realizing that Tony Stark is basically my brother..."

At the time, we shared a knowing laugh about the brother in question, so you can imagine how I felt sitting in the theatre and thinking it's wrong that I suddenly understand howcome your brother gets laid a lot.

I think I've talked about thinking that Stephen Colbert is hot. And that's... uncomfortable... because in general my tastes (and my politics) run more to freaky girls with a lot of tattoos or feminist boys with blue hair than a fortysomething white guy spouting right-wing ideology in a Brooks Brothers suit. (Yes, I get that it's satire. Can we just say for the sake of this point that satire only makes it a bit better? Seriously! Brooks Brothers does his wardrobe! I could not make this up!) Through patient work and possibly some therapy, I've expanded my worldview to include this aberrant crush. I'm okay with it.

But now I have to factor in Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal of Tony Stark. Um. IMDb says he was born in 1965. White guy? Check. Badly behaved? Uh-huh. And there are suits--oh, are there suits. And he is easily the prettiest thing I've laid eyes on (present company excluded) in ages. Oh, god. Is this my new thing? Because that's just disturbing. Couldn't I develop a fetish about shoes, or food, or people dressed in plushy animal costumes?

1 comment:

Gregory said...

Why develop a fetish about shoes? Sex in the city has been there. And the furries thing? Even CSI has done an episode around that one. Nope, you going all a-flutter over the "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen" crowd is the freakiest possible fetish for you, and that's what makes it so delicious.

That being said, if you start a fan site for your "Hottest Baptist Ministers" I will have to re-examine our friendship.