Thursday, January 31, 2008

unseasonal thoughts

This just occurred to me:

You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen/ Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen/ But do you recall/ The most famous reindeer of all?

Seriously, people, if I know the names of all the un-famous reindeer, under what circumstances do you imagine I would suddenly forget Rudolph? Cheating for an easy rhyme.

I had the same problem with Jim Cuddy. He wrote a song called "Married Again" that we played over. and over. and over. again. You know, local musician, not too much cussing, famous, it's the perfect formula for retail. I digress. The point is this line from the chorus:

Sixteen bottles and a wedding trunk/ Oughta be a law against marrying drunk

It made me insane.

In order to marry, or to enter into any other legally binding contract in Canada, one must have the capacity to give consent, which, dude, if you're that drunk, you don't. So in effect, there is a law. I was greeting at the front door during the Christmas rush that year, and Jim Cuddy actually came in. I had to restrain myself from shouting "There is a law!" while shaking my fist at him. When I told Steve about this, he said

"So...let me get this straight. Jim Cuddy comes in and your first impulse is to yell at him."
"Yes."
"And you're okay with that."
"Yes."

Yes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, my impulse is to giggle at Jim Cuddy.

'col said...

No fair! You have had too much Blue Rodeo exposure in your secret other life as cook to the stars.

XUP said...

You really ARE strangely literal.

'col said...

I don't deny it.