Sunday, June 10, 2007

you help me out I listen in/ you taught me all of this and then/ all I want to hear is that you're not mine

A strange side-effect of self-awareness: sometimes it makes discussing things harder, because when you're not lying to yourself, then you have to figure out how to say the things you'd rather be lying to yourself about. This insight brought to you by my current meditations on adulthood, which are alternately thrilling and full of suck. Ugh, enough of that.

spook helped someone fix their bike today using a hair elastic, scotch tape and a twig. I swoon.

Tomorrow: Book Expo. It's my first trade show and I'm weirdly nervous about it. I can explain none of that, since there's nothing less intimidating than a bunch of people who really, really, really need your goodwill. The Globe and Mail described publishing as a "preposterous" industry on the weekend, and I can't help but agree, although I wonder if it's something we want to be saying to the world at large. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

"Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?" Oh, Nick Hornby, such a good question.

3 comments:

Boethius said...

In order to escape from the trunk of this car, I will need the following objects: rope, flashlight, a gun with no bullets, some bullets...

So you married Macgyver eh?

Also, I still have a grudge against the publishing industry for helping that "beer-swilling German fool" otherwise known as Martin Luther tear Europe into tiny pieces and bring about the deaths of countless thousands (maybe millions) of innocents all because he didn't like taking orders from his superiors...his 'betters' some might say.

'col said...

but you believe in the right of people to express dissent, yes? say more on this topic, as we're not all history majors.

Boethius said...

I see...ok, see, dissent is great, however, if it leaves millions dead, then I cannot tolerate it. That being said, one must always question their superiors...though I can't see how a good answer can lead to 200 years of bloodshed and destruction, or the tearing asunder of an entire world for no good reason.

Uh...publishers helped Luther do that. Also they helped him persecute Jews and the poor. He printed more anti-semitical works than any single man in history, and he thought poor people were evil and deserved death when they questioned authority...though apparently it was okay for him to do it.

Yeah, I've got more, but it all gets pretty ugly from there lol.