Saturday, June 09, 2007

remember when I was so strange and likeable?

It amuses me that when I changed the random question in my profile ("You've broken up with your band, and are about to release your new solo album. Write the liner notes:") I didn't have to change my answer.
It also amuses me that I am so embarrassed by liking the new Tegan and Sara album. Steve keeps saying "but--you're a lesbian! You're supposed to like Tegan and Sara!" Sidestepping the minor issue that Steve, in his exclusive attraction to women, is probably a better lesbian than I am (just can't get my head around this darn gender thing--boys, girls, how do you even tell the difference? and why would I bother trying?), I am trying to explain that I am of the generation of queer that is required by law to scorn Tegan and Sara. But I can't help it--they've evolved and no longer sound like a discount Ani Difranco. They sound good, and their lyrics are stuck in my head, and I'm playing them on my ipod at a volume that is probably deleterious to my hearing. Sigh. Apparently, despite my wish to be a free thinker, it is still sometimes hard for me to confess to what I really enjoy. Welcome to the world, baby girl.

7 comments:

Boethius said...

"100 years from now, there won't be men or women, just wankers"...man, Trainspotting is an inehaustible source of wisdom...

Boethius said...

and obviously I can't spell

'col said...

missed you last night, man. Steve and Cookie and I all yelled at each other a lot.

Jennifer said...

First of all, your new picture is very, very awesome. You look like the kind of girl I'd almost crash my bike over. "Oh! She looks cool! Ahhhhhhhh!" *Crash*

Secondly, is it the 16th yet?

J.

Boethius said...

What did you guys yell at eachother about? I want in...

'col said...

uh, science. although my part of the argument was tragically lacking in substance. and the internet, although I couldn't get Cookie to cut me in on that, because he seemed to know that Steve and I together had the power to squash him on that front. what else? crap. I don't remember. it was loud and vehement though, and I kept thinking you should be there.

(psst--Jo. thanks. only six more sleeps.)

Boethius said...

Don't worry, next time I see them I'll smack science and kick the internet...or maybe I'll smack Steve and Cookie with my big red Che Guevara flag and then start preaching about some 'long march' or something like that...