Saturday, December 18, 2004

cover me, I'm going in

Today is the last Saturday before Christmas, and in a couple of hours I am going to work at the mall.

I wish I could really convey...anything...about this experience, but suffice it to say I am facing it with a mixture of dread and weird exhiliaration. I've discovered a new, disturbing, previously unsuspected facet of my personality: I like to win. Winning, in this case, means two things. One is making a lot of money--which leads to a little dance of capitalist joy every time we knock our budget over. The other is making people smile at this, possibly the crappiest time of the year. I don't care what the songs say, everyone is on the verge, even people who don't celebrate Christmas. In fact, I think the songs are part of it. How many times can one person tolerate "Sleigh Ride"?

I suppose I'm going to find out.

No comments: