Wednesday, December 15, 2004

twenty-nine, the sequel

When asked to guess my age, people regularly pin me as anywhere from five to eight years younger than I am. It could be just politeness, except that when I tell them how old I actually am (thirty), they tend to react with astonishment, sometimes grabbing passersby and asking them to take a guess, just so they can be the ones with the surprise. It's kinda funny. spook has me trumped, though. For example, he got carded at the beer store the other day, even though he's been of age to drink for...eleven years.

It happens enough that when I was fussing about whether or not my dad liked him ("Do you think he's freaked out that spook is trans?") one of our friends suggested that possibly he was freaked out because he thought the spookster was seventeen. This seemed plausible enough that I actually checked it out. ("Dude, you know he's not seventeen, right?")

However, none of this had prepared me for the phone call I got yesterday morning.
"Hi, I'm calling from [yer local friendly bike shop]. Your son dropped off his BMX this week..."

Oh dear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*actually choking on my morning tea with laughter*

Shanghai (Is 32, looks 26, acts 21)

Anonymous said...

paul says
i keep forgetting that i'm not a student or whatever. i kinda think of myself as just a student who's learned more lessons or something... thirty in 7 1/2 months though....

Adam said...

ouch.