Thursday, June 14, 2007

I worry that I worry that I worry too much.

So, as I've told you all, I'm starting on this new medication. Aside from the thing about taking it on an empty stomach, which I'm already tired of, I'm pretty excited. And nothing dampens that excitement like reading the pharmacy printout about all the horrible things that can happen to you on this drug.

I know, I know--they're all pretty unlikely. My doctor did emphasize this, and she's not always so reassuring. When I started on the last thing, which occasionally causes seizures, she said "Do me a favour and don't stand around on the stairs a lot for the next couple of weeks." I laughed. She said "I'm serious." So if she says there's nothing to worry about, then there probably isn't. It's just that even the best efforts of my rational mind can't entirely erase my alarm when I'm reading that I should tell my doctor immediately if I start coughing up blood. I think I can say that that one was obvious, guys. Oddly, that bothers me more than the even-less-likely possibility of fatal liver disease. Uh, mom? Maybe you shouldn't be reading this. Everything's fine.

Anyway, the whole thing is better than lying around feeling like the sidekick in a gothic novel, just waiting to die tragically of my consumption in order to further the plot.

2 comments:

Boethius said...

Hehehe, medicine is way safer than you think. You prolly shouldn't worry about it. I mean, your only other option is to go the Mike D direction and get some quantum physicist to heal you with his magical mind powers...how is that different from a faith healer I wonder...

Warning labels on medicine are often put there only because people with serious conditions who take certain medicine can have bad reactions. It is this principle that drives at least 30min of each episode oh House, as everyone gives the patient the wrong stuff and he worsens, and then House yells and gives him something else...

Hugh Laurie hasn't called you asking to guest star lately has he?

'col said...

thankfully, no--no matter how sick I was, I don't think I could get through an episode without punching House in the face. although, that might make for interesting tv...