Monday, January 17, 2005

mostly we've been living here uninjured

Things that have been fixable in our world in the last little while:

1. spook unscrewed the cover of our deadbolt and tightened the screws within (there are screws inside! who knew?) so that the lock wasn't threatening to fall out of the door anymore.

2. my attempt at gravy, which resulted in a disastrously thick, floury sludge, became if-not-great-then-at-least-edible when I added boiling water and spook added seasoned salt.

3. when his cookies came out weird, I was able to deduce that the problem was the addition of an extra cup of flour, and so we doubled the recipe.

4. Sarah banged out some of the dents in my little heart by listening to me talk about the stuff that's bugging me lately and being, as always, more perceptive and steady than I ever imagine will happen.

5. after much deinstalling and reinstalling and fiddling around, spook got most of the programs on our computer running again, and stuck a little dancing Gir icon in the middle of our desktop.

6. spook's great-aunt Helen once again proved herself to be a splendid-aunt by sending a sweet card congratulating us on our upcoming barbecue of love. (um, that would be in honour of love. we're not barbecuing anyone's feelings, at least not on purpose. "This veggie burger tastes weird...")

7. I got sick of barely being able to open our front door for all the coats, and improvised a closet using only our existing shelves, a broken extension pole intended for roller painting, and a willingness to fail.

Here's to the little things.

5 comments:

Jennifer Jane Whiteford said...

When is the barbecue of love? Can I come? I don't even care if you torch my feelings...

J.

'col said...

Oh, there will be invitations, as soon as I get my act together to start planning. I'm beginning to see that the purpose of all those attendants in a traditional wedding may just be to keep the couple from chickening out. It's not as though people aren't helping, either. Shallott sent me a list of possible venues, and Mistress Mel's suggested a photographer...perhaps I need a Maid of Horror to nag me.

'col said...

um...posting to add that I know the difference between "Shalott" as in "Lady of" and "shallott" as in "vegetable similar to an onion"...

Anonymous said...

Dude. You totally need a maid of horror. If only so he or she could wear a beauty pagent type sash enscribed with that phrase upon it.
I'm volunteering to be your cheapo coordinator. Not a reasonably pricing wedding planner, oh no. I'll just be the person who figures out how do to all the things you want with no money. And how to make flower arrangements outta duct tape, paper clips and shoelaces. (Totally do-able).
You could completely outfit yer BBQ with a $50 shopping spree at the Dollarama! WICKED!

-Shanghai

Anonymous said...

re sarah
yeah she keeps laying that perceptive and dependable shit on me too. where would i be?
i mean i can be perceptive, as in "ah i think i know what the problem is". or at least i can ask pertinent questions that sound perceptive. but i seem to have a block when it comes to perceiving when and where acting on my perceptions is bad.
for example - at work the other day my assume-the-worst-and-worry-about-fixing-it type brain identified a problem that i as a retail peon, and even my fairly new to the company gm would not be able to fix and customers would yell at me and my co-workers if it ever came up cuz it's stupid and avoidable. anyway trying to make the newish gm understand that he couldn't fix the thing any way or how in our store - well he wasn't getting it. he thought that cuz it made sense there must be a way. i knew better. and so finally i out and said "Scott, I think maybe you haven't been with the company long enough to understand that we can't fix this one" ... at our morning meeting...everybody in the store was there...no no i didn't pull him aside and whisper in his ear....yup i spoke right up.... maybe that's not really a good example of perception.

paul