Friday, January 28, 2005

frankenskirt

I spent most of last night pinning and sewing and ripping out seams. I'm making my first skirt out of what's turning out to be two pairs of pants and, possibly, a necktie. I have no idea what I'm doing, and no straight pins. It might take me forever, but I think I'm going to be happy when it's done--if nothing else, it will be very punk rock.
I was telling Jen-L all about my last few months over coffee yesterday afternoon, and I discovered that as well as sewing, I am taking up life drawing and card making and painting. I cheerfully suck at at least two of these things. It's interesting--noticing how bad a painter I am makes me realize that I'm used to being pretty good at things right away. It occurs to me that maybe I need to do more things that are a stretch, if that is the case. In the meantime, skirt. Skirt. Skirt. I lay awake for an hour or so in the middle of the night thinking through a new idea I had for how it would fasten. It might be ready in time for spring.

No comments: