Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Call for submissions (a newly human first!)

Despite the giant pain in the ass that drafting and signing a donor contract turned out to be (a saga which I may someday relate, because it seems like it might be useful to somebody out there), I have to say that I really like my lawyer. I would happily and confidently recommend her to anyone in Toronto looking for a queer-friendly family lawyer. She is the bomb.

I'm aware that there's a whole bunch of stuff I want to tell you guys about our decision to have a baby and our process for getting there, actually, because when we started trying to do it I realized that I could find all kinds of stories about queer families, but no Canadian ones. I know a handful of queerfolk my age who have kids, but either I don't know them well enough to ask a bunch of crazily intrusive questions, or I failed to connect with them when we were in our information-gathering stage, and it was...kind of a crappy, alienating, lonely experience. If putting my story out in the world would make it less that way for other people, that would be a good thing to do.

So, writing about intending to write about something is a bit peculiar, but if I put it out there on the internet, I have to make it happen. It also allows me to petition you folks for your stories. Did your family come about in a way that was off the beaten path? D'you want to tell that story? If so, leave me a comment and I will figure out how to feature you as a guest blogger (or link to your blog, if you've already written about it.) I'm hoping for some specifically Canadian stories, 'cause our law is different, but I'm happy to hear from everyone. Tell your friends!

No comments: