Sunday, August 26, 2007

so high, so low

So, a while back, I asked if we could have some benches for the store. I dunno. Having people sit on the floor is not only irritating (why are you surprised that I don't want you to block off a whole bunch of shelves? Do you not feel that people should read authors whose last names begin with 'S'?) but sometimes distressing (uh, honey? trust me, you do not want your face anywhere near that carpet). Benches! Imagine my surprise when I showed up for work on Friday to discover that they had installed... well... benches of a sort. I was envisioning something a little less... monolithic. And then it hit me: instead of settling for benches, the company has built a ziggurat in my honour, cleverly disguising it by breaking it down into component parts. I was thrilled.

And then I went pants-shopping in the mall and came home feeling like a hideous freak because nothing ever fits right, the proud new owner of a dress and a sweater, neither of which are the pants that I need. Aargh.

5 comments:

Boethius said...

Yeah, those ziggurats are insane. Ugly too. Oh well, at least they're uncomfortable.

Jennifer said...

I am currently on an anti-pant crusade. Not because the pants don't fit, but rather because of the never-long-enough shirt situation which leaves me clutching and yanking at my top article of clothing to make it meet my bottom article of clothing. So I'm boycotting pants and wearing dresses as often as is humanly possible. And, as always, I am on the cutting edge, for just this morning in the New York Times fall fashion magazine, there was an article written by a woman about how she never wears pants. I welcome you to the world of the anti-pant. It's the latest craze.

Anonymous said...

I definitely have to come in to see these. Of course, a place to sit is just a place to leave more magazines.

'col said...

Dresses are great, and I love them, except then there's the problem of not really having good work shoes to go with dresses. Also the kneeling on the grotty carpet, hauling things around parts of my job, which require clothes to be on the hardier side. There are dresses that qualify, for sure, but wouldn't it be nice if I could just get a pair of Dickies?

Sigh.

And Ben, you are of course right. But it's not like there wasn't sitting already, and if they leave the mags on the seat, I don't have to crouch to pick 'em up. It's all part of my master plan. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jennifer said...

Dickies makes dresses! ;)