Friday, February 03, 2006

all you ever hear me say...

Your 2005 Song Is

Since You've Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson

"But since you've been gone
I can breathe for the first time
I'm so moving on"

In 2005, you moved on.


I find this a little unsettling, which is how I seem to respond to my results on most internet quizzes. Until about a week ago, I would have had no idea what they meant by this song--now that it's suddenly on a hundred albums we're playing at work, I have a strong opinion about it, although Kelly Clarkson and the rest of her work languish in the far reaches of my indifference. The prechorus to this song is brilliant! Well, okay, brilliant for middle of the road pop. It actually sounds like something different, and believe me, I can tell, since most of the music we're allowed to play at work is one big blur of not so interesting song. Then, of course, she screws it up by launching into a completely conventional chorus, including hideous "yeah, yeah"s.

Why do I have to be a song with the line "I'm so moving on"? Am I still seventeen? Don't answer that.

6 comments:

Jennifer Jane Whiteford said...

I had a secret love for this song when it come out, possibly because it was the best of the horrid music that the after school program kids played constantly. Lesley and I agreed that it kind of sounds like a Liz Phair song from later in her career when she got kind of tame and mainstream-ish. A compliment for Kelly Clarkson, a big dis for Liz Phair.

J.

Adam said...

I got "Feel Good Inc" by Gorillaz. I'm totally ok with that (even though the post-bridge rap is a bit meh).

Anonymous said...

ohmigawd, I got "feel good inc" too.
shannon

Anonymous said...

ps.
you have to look at this to see what dan's songs of the year are - hee hee!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/soybean/
shannon

Anonymous said...

I got Weezer's Beverly Hills... which is not a bad song at all, it just seemed rather random.

'col said...

well, and now my song has won a grammy. so there you go. I won a grammy in 2005--by extension.