Thursday, December 15, 2005

renovate my soul

My apartment building is getting new carpet in the hallways. It's startling how much difference it makes--I was comfortable with the old aesthetic of dingy brown patched in many places with duct tape. I'm now nervous that this will translate into rent increases. There have been some advantages to a landlord who basically ignores you.

I ran into the superintendent on the stairs.

"Hey, Jack."
"Hey. How are you?"
"Pretty good. So...new carpet, huh?"
"Yep."
"Now all we need is--"
"A new roof."

I shushed him with my best "don't cloud the issue with pertinent facts" gesture.

It's just so...shiny, in contrast with the rest of my building, which is charming in that slightly decrepit way. I wonder how long it will take to offgass all the toxins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss you!

hearts,
~heather