Saturday, October 09, 2004

we go together like boogedy-boogedy-boogedy-boogedy-shoop

I suspect I am not supposed to come home from my retail job tired from the dancing.

Julia obliged me by digging up the soundtrack to Grease, always a crowd pleaser, and so I got to sing along through the last hour of my shelving, bopping gently as I smiled at the customers. Just before we close we always turn the music off--it's a signal, meaning "okay, pay us and get out now." I was snapping my fingers when the sound stopped, and she called "Sorry," across the floor.
"It's all right," I assured her, "I'm feeling the funk on the inside."
"Aren't you always?" she asked me, laughing. Yep. Yep, I am. I ride the funk train through a lot of crappy moments in the employment part of my life. How do people who don't like music survive customer service? I have to get a rhythm back somehow after the little things that throw you off--rude people, insane busyness, the phone ringing off the hook, not being able to find even one of the thirty-nine copies of a book you're supposed to have--I find it easiest to borrow someone else's.

Cookie and I stickered a whole whack of bestsellers along with "My Sharona," and I raced up and down the stairs a few times with magazines, "More Than a Feeling" propelling me along. Sears' obnoxious outdoor speakers were playing "Jenny From the Block," and that got me home.

My feet are tired, but my heart feels great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

paul says
the tricky part is when the lovely music ladies play anything that really rocks/ used to rock/ air guitar worthy. ask julia to play helmet lotti sometime. he's an old cheese hound kinda guy who can make anything ever written all about the clutching and reaching up to the sky (think meatloaf maybe). anyway helmet lotti actually does a version of bohemian rhapsody and when the air guitar part kicks in i literally cannot work because of the overwhelming need to air guitar and bang my head.....